Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween w/ Mom's Sugar Cookies

I've been craving my mom's sugar cookies for months and decided last week would be the perfect time to make some Halloween sugar cookies to enjoy and share with others.


One of my favorite things about this recipe is that the cookies are ready to roll and bake as soon as the dough is mixed. You don't have to refrigerate the dough and wait hours before you can bake!

My kids all wanted to help with the cookies and it was a fun project to do together.



Mom's Best Sugar Cookies Recipe

(This recipe is one my mom has made for as long as I can remember. The recipe calls for shortening, but I prefer to sub butter.)

Mix as for pie crust (I mix in my Kitchenaid)
2 cups of butter @ room temperature
6 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder

Then add:
2 cups of sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 cup of evaporated milk soured with 1 Tablespoon of vinegar (mix evaporated milk and vinegar and let sit together for a few minutes)
1 teaspoon baking soda (mix this into the milk mixture and then add to batter - hold over bowl while mixing)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Mix and then roll out dough. I like thick cookies, so I keep the dough pretty thick.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes or until the top of the cookies are still white and the bottom of cookies are slightly browned. Do not over bake because soft cookies are the best.


Cream Cheese Frosting

While cookies are cooling, mix up the frosting with a mixer.

4 oz. cream cheese
1 box of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
A splash of milk

Mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Then slowly add a splash of milk. Continue adding milk until the frosting is a thick and spreadable consistency. You can add food coloring if desired.



Everyone at our house gave these a big thumbs up!  Let me know if you try these and how you liked them.


Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis