Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Making a Travel Journal

Yesterday I put together a travel journal/album for an upcoming trip my husband, friends and I are going on. We are lucky enough to be going to Austria and Switzerland! I'm so excited.

While we are on the trip, I want to have a place to document things that are going on each day. I have created premade albums for other trips and so I knew I wanted to do one for this trip.

Here's a look a the cover.The inside pages of the album are very simple. One side of the page is a plain paper (Basic Grey basic manilla) where I can journal about our day. The other side of the spread is a patterned paper. This is where I will put photos from the day.I will probably print my photos from scrapbookpictures.com in the 2 X 2 inch size. I love this size for travel albums because I can fit a lot of photos onto one page.For now, the embellishments are at a minimum. I want to leave plenty of space for journaling and photos.

One thing to consider if you want to make a travel album is to make the binding with jump rings. This is a perfect way to bind the book because you can easily punch tickets, brochures, coasters and whatever else you collect and just add it to the jump ring.This album is 6 X 9. I chose this size so that I could maximize how I used the paper. The 12 x 12 papers were cut in half, which gave me the height of six inches.For some pages, I folded the extra three inches over like on this page so that it created a flap with more space for photos. I added in an extra page and tied the flap together with ribbon.I made a lot of the pages different lengths to add a little visual interest. For some of the page, I used envelopes. Not only do I love the look of kraft envelopes, they will be perfect for storing things like receipts and hotel keys.This only took me about two hours to put together and I love the results. Now I can't wait to go on my trip and start filling the album up with all sorts of goodness!

The majority of the supplies came from the June Scrapbook Circle kit. I also used the Basic Grey basics manilla paper, 7 Gypsies jump rings and an alpha from Cosmo Cricket.

16 comments:

  1. Fabulous book!!! That will be fun to look through years down the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome book, and what a fantastic opportunity! Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I love the kraft envies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great book! So cute to take along to journal and store all those little goodies you collect on a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab book, and enjoy your trip... how fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the little bits and pieces in this book. Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sooooooooooooooooooooooooo love this!! GREAT colors...and sounds like an AMAZING trip!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks BEAUTIFUL! Hope you have a GREAT SAFE time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fantastic! I'm going to have to remember this for the next trip I take... Have a wonderful trip, it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love your journal. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just FANTASTIC!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that cover is killer! very cool album, girl!
    have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool journal! ENJOY your trip!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis