Friday, January 29, 2010

Valentine Banner

I had to run to Walmart a couple of weeks ago to pick something up. On my way in, I saw a Valentine display with some heart dollies. The dollies made their way into my cart and I knew that they would be used on some sort of Valentine project.

A few days later, I decided to use the heart dollies as the base for a Valentine banner. I love banners and can't seem to get enough of them!

My second inspiration for the banner was my new Silhouette. It came with a roll of fuzzy black vinyl and I was excited to incorporate it into a project. After deciding on the "XOXO" theme for the banner, I cut the black letters out of the fuzzy vinyl. It really has a cool look at feel in person.
This was a great project to use up lots of bits and pieces of Valentine themed things I have around. A lot of the pieces came from this kit and this kit.
The dollies were not a solid enough base, so I cut triangles out of double-sided patterned paper and placed the dollies on top of the triangles. This worked out perfectly since I'm hanging the banner from a mirror and the back of the banner reflects the back side of the patterned paper in the mirror.I felt like this was a very busy banner and did not want to clutter it by tying ribbons between each banner piece. I decided to find something that I could just clip the banner pieces to. In my ribbon drawer was a yard of red felt with dots punched in it and it was the perfect base for hanging the banner pieces.Thanks to 4 Tim Holtz clips, each banner piece was quickly attached to the felt ribbon.Now I'm in the mood to make more Valentine decorations. Any good ideas?

3 comments:

  1. This is so darn cute! Ps...I found your blog in the comments on Rhonna's blog. I would love to lift this idea. I have a mirror it would be fab on as well. My vinyl just arrived, but I don't have my mac set up yet. If I can get it done, I'll be sure to share a pic with you. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is SO cute! I'm planning on making some hears wooden skewers and putting them in a vase....Easy, fun, and the kids can help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of clipping the pennants to the ribbon - so very clever! Beautiful garland!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis