Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Creative Escape Projects Day 1

Creative Escape had 8 teachers each teaching a different project. Over the course of two days, each attendee gets to attend each of the 8 classes. The variety of teaching styles and projects was really varied which made for a great mix of classes during the weekend.

Here's a look at what we were up to on day one of CE.

Heather Bailey's Birdie Album. I totally love the bright, happy colors from Heather Bailey's paper line we used on this project. This was probably the most intense project because there were so many pieces to put together. Thankfully almost everything was cut, painted and ready to assemble. This was finished by the time we walked out of class and I was very happy about that.Most of the pages had something interactive or had a very thoughtful touch. This page included a pocket that held a separate mini album we assembled.
This page has a flap on the right side of the page that has another half page tied inside. It was such a clever way to add small extra pages to the album.
Tim Holtz's Enjoy the Journey Album. This was one of my favorite classes at CE. The pace was very manageable and Tim had an entertaining, inspiring teaching style. We got to work with grungeboard for the covers of this book and I really liked it. I'm thinking that I need to order some sheets of grudgeboard and play with it.
This little (2" x 3") album was something that could easily be adapted to many projects. We alternated sanded/inked paper pages with plastic photo holder pages and pages made from tickets. I really enjoyed using the small Tim Holtz brand metal findings: snaps, bookplate, safetypin, washers and brads. They add such a great finishing touch to things.
Carol Wingert's Pyramid Project Class. When I first arrived at CE and received a booklet with all of our projects, I'll admit that I wasn't so sure about this one. But I kept an open mind and was excited to see what ideas the teacher had in mind. This ended up being a favorite project from the weekend.

This is a clever pyramid box that is perfect for gift giving. This box still will get lots of embellishing, but I chose to keep a neutral palette until I decided how I wanted to use it. This would make a great holder for a small wedding gift. If could also be decorated for a teacher and house a wrapped candied apple. Another idea is to decorate this for Christmas, place and ornament in it and give it to neighbors.

The front panel is clear acrylic which I think is a great idea.
This is easy enough to replicate and I'm sure with practice, it could be done somewhat quickly. I'm excited to figure out how I'm going to use it.
Debbie Crouse and Paula Cheney's cool bookboard project. Our final project of the day was built from 7 Gypsies bookboard. We layered the bookboard which gave a great dimention to the project.

This has some fun interactive elements. The photo lifts with the knob at the bottom of the photo to reveal a journaling space. The panel with the little flower vase also opens like a book to show another journaling space. I really love the mini vase with flowers, the metal key and all of the layering.What a day! We finished off the night with a sit down dinner and an inspiring talk from Heidi Swapp.

Not bad for one day's work!

2 comments:

  1. these look SO fun!-you are right the little pyramid is cute, but I wouldn't know what to do with it either! did you know Carol Wingert also teaches at Scrapbooks etc.? And Debbie Crouse used to be in my ward and works for 7 gypsies?--(she's one of those people I ALWAYS say hi to at CHA....) I'm so glad that you had such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun projects. looks like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis